Hi, my name is Marianne Bouchart. Over the past few years I have been working as a web editor, producer, communications director and data journalism lecturer in London and Paris. Now based in Lille, France, I am looking for a new role that will take me to the next level and put in use all of my skills.
This site is an interactive version of my C.V. which showcases my skills and gives you a little bit more information about my professional experience as well as other projects I've been involved in.
Feel free to scroll through, click and share. Thanks for your visit and feel free to get in touch.
All-rounder news editor and web producer with a great interest and experience in digital news, innovative storytelling and data journalism.
I love sharing my knowledge through teaching and training, which I do regularly. I am also the founder of Hei-Da, a not-for-profit organisation that specialises in data-driven and innovative storytelling projects that have social impact.
I am used to work to tight deadlines in fast-paced environments, and to take initiatives. I am a creative, dynamic and responsible person. I have the experience of developing big online projects and building online communities globally. I am also passionate about helping others and leading projects that have a true social impact.
Since April 2015
After 3 years at Bloomberg, I decided to create a data journalism startup called Hei-Da. It is a not-for-profit organisation fostering the future of data journalism, innovative storytelling and open data.
We help organisations tell data driven stories on the web in innovative ways, using expertise from the news industry and elsewhere.
Click the tabs on the left side of the page to discover all my previous work experience.
From December 2015
Communications Director + Data Journalism Awards Manager
Coordinating with the rest of the GEN team in Paris, I created and implemented innovative communication strategies, culminating at the GEN Summit 2016: production of newsletters and press releases, content production (articles and interviews), management of the website, project coordination, team management, etc.
My role also involved managing the Data Journalism Awards, an annual competition celebrating innovative and data-driven news projects. It got me to New York City in the U.S. where I organised a Data Journalism Unconference at Thomson Reuters headquarters.
2012 – 2015
Web Producer EMEA, Data Journalism and Graphics Editor
Over three years at Bloomberg News, I was coordinating closely with the US-based editorial and production teams and was in charge of the web production in Europe, Middle East and Africa for Bloomberg.com and Businessweek.com (which merged into BloombergBusiness.com in January 2015). Along the way I also fulfilled the role of data journalism and graphics editor.
My job entailed daily production tasks for the EMEA region using WordPress and in-house content management systems, trouble shooting, editing and producing newsletters, curating homepages and specific channels on the sites, creating and updating graphics as well as projects coordination. I was also the point person for stories related to Wikileaks as well as broader data journalism projects across Europe, Middle East and Africa.
Founder and Editor, Team Leader, Web Producer, Community Manager
• Set up an online platform that works as a blog, news aggregator and online community (comments, forums and groups) about data journalism.
• Content producer: videos, podcasts, articles, visualisations. Community manager (forums, groups, comments, social media).
2010 – 2012
Freelance web designer and producer (specialised in journalism)
• Created websites and blogs using HTML and Wordpress.org
• Linked website to different SNS accounts
• Taught clients how to use the platforms and add content to their website
• Created, edited and produced web content for clients
2010 – 2012
Freelance Final Cut Pro and Adobe Audition teacher
• Gave one-to-one and group classes for video and audio editing softwares
• Helped clients on editing projects and reach top professional standards
Freelance video journalist and producer
• Created web video reports for clients such as the European Journalism Center and DataDrivenJournalism.net
2009 – 2011
Freelance Digital Marketing Manager
• Developed and implemented entire digital marketing campaigns
• Developed the clients’ online presence via blogs, websites and SNS
• Managed newsletters, seeding campaigns and online public relations
• Clients included: Dulux paint with the “Let’s Colour” campaign where I was Marketing Manager for the French territory between March and May 2010, American artist Blake Worrell from the Puppetmastaz between 2009 and 2010, Faculty Music (part of Universal UK) in 2009.
Location Manager, Game tester at Testronic Labs, Pinewood studios, Uxbridge, UK
• Was in charge of checking the French translation and good functionality of video games on different platforms (including iPad)
Editor, Team Leader for Multimedia coverage of the Journalism’s Next Top Model Conference at the University of Westminster, London, UK.
• Managed a team of journalists to cover the event and interview guest speakers (involving Mayor of London Boris Johnson, former director general of the BBC Mark Thompson as well as other important players in the media industry)
• Supervised the online coverage of the event via blogs, Twitter, Youtube, iChat, Live Stream, websites, forums
AUGUST – OCTOBER 2009
• Social media marketing
• Email marketing
• Press releases
MARCH – MAY 2009
Editor, Team Leader, Coordinating Multimedia Coverage
• Managed a team of journalists to cover the event (involving BBC General Director Mark Thompson, Mayor of London Boris Johnson, former Editor of the Sun Kelvin McKenzie, The Guardian’s Nick Davies, etc.)
• Supervised the online marketing of the events via blogs, Twitter, Youtube, iChat, Skype, websites, forums.
MARCH – MAY 2009
Web Editor, Social Media Manager, Blogging and Web Production for the Soundpad Project (Directed by John Leckie and Keith Harris) at the University of Westminster, London, UK.
• Managed a team of journalists to interview the bands and producers Keith Harris and John Leckie
• Created a WordPress blog, a Twitter account and took part in the digital marketing campaign for 5 independent rock bands
2002 – 2006
Editor-in-chief (sometimes founder) of student newspapers (through high school and first two years of higher education), France
• Created the first student magazines/newspapers of my schools
• Wrote editor’s letters and articles
• Supervised the production (from the writing to the printing process) and managed a team of student journalists
Digital innovation, data storytelling and the Rio Olympics
Panama Papers, the journalism story behind the scandal
Data Journalism Without Borders. Three experts...
Guest Lecturer/Speaker Experience
GEN Summit (2016)
Avril- June 2016
Editorial director for the coverage of the GEN Summit 2016 in Vienna, Austria.
I managed a team of 18 journalists and editors, including 12 students from the FHWien and European Forum Alpbach journalism schools. From the conception of an editorial guide, to the planning of a production schedule, the set up of a video editing class during the event, my role was to supervise the coverage of the conference and to make sure the content produced was pertinent and of high standards.
London School of Economics (2016)
24 February 2016
Took part in a roundtable on robot journalism and data-driven news production at LSE Polis in London, UK. The team from the London School of Economics gathered a dozen experts in data journalism and news innovation coming from various countries to discuss and debate on that topic.
19 Million Project (2015)
Speaker at the 19 Million Project conference and hackathon in Roma, Italy, which gathered media experts from around the world to build innovative editorial projects on the refugee crisis. I gave a similar speech to the one I gave at the Techfugees conference, on how data journalism has been used to cover the refugee crisis, what challenges news organisations face to get data on the crisis and what technology solutions there could be to facilitate data gathering, publishing and storytelling on the ground. I also presented the initiave of Hei-Da, the non-profit startup I created earlier that year.
Techfugees Conference and Hackathon (2015)
1-2 October 2015
Speaker at the Techfugees Conference and Hackathon in London which gathered experts from the media and tech industry to build solutions to the refugee crisis. I gave a speech on how data journalism has been used to cover the refugee crisis, what challenges news organisations face to get data on the crisis and what technology solutions there could be to facilitate data gathering, publishing and storytelling on the ground. I also presented the initiave of Hei-Da, the non-profit startup I created earlier that year.
London College of Communication (2015)
Guest lecturer for both theory and practical classes on data journalism, investigative methods and digital research to students in journalism at the London College of Communication in London, UK.
LSE Polis Journalism Conference
5 April 2013
Member of a panel and guest speaker at the annual LSE Polis Journalism Conference for a session on “Trust in Digital” in London, UK. Other members of the panel included James Ball (former Guardian now Buzzfeed), Esra Dogramaci (former Al Jazeera now BBC), Nicola Hughes (former Guardian, Knight Mozilla).
O'Reilly Strata Conference (2012)
2 October 2012
Gave a keynote presentation at the O’Reilly Strata Conference – Making Data Work in London, UK entitled Financial Data and Journalism – How Bloomberg Makes Data Work.
ESJ Pro Paris (2012)
18-20 June 2012
Gave a three-day data journalism training including theory and practical workshops on spreadsheets, data mining and data visualizations at the ESJ Pro Paris in Paris, France. Attendees were professionals from major French media organizations.
2001-2004French Baccalaureate obtained with distinctions at Lycee Notre Dame des Dunes, Dunkerque (France)
2002 - 2004Student at the FRAC (Regional Fund of Contemporary Arts) Fine Arts School of Dunkerque. Keen interest in computer graphics and publishing with InDesign
2004 - 2006Classe preparatoire “hypokhagne” and “khagne” in French Literature, Philosophy, History, Geography, English and English Literature, at CPGE Notre Dame de la Paix, Lille (France)
2006 - 2007BA in English and American Studies (including Marketing), obtained with Upper Second Class Honours, Lille Catholic University, Lille (France)
2007 - 2010BA Hons in Media at the University of Westminster, London, obtained with First Class Honours. (includes practical Journalism, PR, business and online journalism)
FEB 2009Masterclass in Investigative Journalism at City University (London) by The Guardian’s Nick Davies and David Leigh.
MAY 2011HEFAC - Hostile Environment Training and First Aid Course for Media and NGOs at Blue Dot
2010 - 2011MA International Journalism at City University (London) with distinctions in Online Journalism, Practical TV and Radio journalism, International News and European affairs.